COVID-19 FAQ for Kaiser Members

SEIU 49 is working quickly to make sure that workers’ voices are not ignored as employers, government agencies and policy makers roll out COVID-19 plans. It’s times like these that we’re thankful we have a strong union that can respond and make sure our voices are heard. 

We will be adding information and resources to this page as it becomes available. 

Share your Stories from the Front Lines here.

Frequently Asked Questions  

Q: My clinic closed. Can they redeploy me? Yes. Workers are needed in new positions as delivery systems shift to serve and keep patients safe. SEIU members are rising to the challenge- some working remotely and some in new locations. However, Kaiser workers continue to be paid.   

Q: Where can we get PPE? A: There is currently a nationwide shortage of PPE. Our union is doing everything we can to push the federal Coronavirus Task Force and our local leaders to act. Please sign our petition here. 

Updates as of  6/10/20

Letter of Agreement – RE: 2020 COVID19 IMPACTS, as of 6/10/20

Updates as of 4/10/20

Letter of Agreement – extension of the local LOU, as of 4/7/20

Labor Pool Redeployment FAQs – the most recent information, as of 4/8/20

National Agreement Enhanced Benefits Package  – access through MyHR:

Kaiser Childcare Grant Renewal

Effective 8/17/2020 – 12/19/2020

Short term childcare grant of $200 per week for employees who are required to report to work at a KP Facility (i.e., RNs, EVS workers, receptionists, pharmacy workers, etc.) or directed to care for patients in person at a non-KP facility.

  • $200 per week grant which enables full time, part time and per diems working at least 20 hours week who are required to report to work at a KP facility for their scheduled shifts or directed to care for patients in person at a non-KP facility to secure childcare for school-aged children (and disabled dependent children).
  • Employees working remotely/at home are not eligible.
  • Can be applied for weekly; payments will be issued on the next on cycle payroll.
  • Employees and per diems must provide weekly attestation that includes hours worked in a facility, caregiver name, phone number, address, and email. KP reserves the right to validate this information.
  • Full-time defined as 32+ hours, school-aged defined as age 14 or younger
  • Eligible hours are those hours worked in a facility (time off benefits do not count towards calculation).
  • Grant amount will be prorated for employees working 20-32 hours a week.
You can find more questions and answers on My HR.


Stimulus Checks

How to check the status of your federal Economic Impact Payment

Some Oregonians are starting to see the federal Economic Impact Payments deposited directly in their bank accounts. These payments are being automatically issued to eligible 2019 or 2018 federal tax return filers who received a refund using direct deposit. Below are a few commonly asked questions about how to get your Economic Impact Payment.

If you didn’t receive a 2019 or 2018 federal tax refund via direct deposit, how can you get your payment deposited in your bank account?

Use “Get My Payment,” which allows you to provide your banking information on your return so you can receive payments immediately. “Get My Payment” will also allow taxpayers to track the status of your payment.

If you didn’t file a federal tax return in 2019 or 2018, how can you see if you are eligible and get your payment deposited in your bank account?

If you have not filed a tax return yet for 2018 or 2019 you can file your taxes for free to make sure you are eligible. You can also use the ‘Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here’ web portal and enter your bank account information.

Regardless of how you receive your payment, the IRS will send you a mailed letter to the most current address they have on file approximately 15 days after it sends your payment.

For more information about your Economic Impact Payment, please visit and

Child Care 

If you are continuing to work during this public health emergency and need child care, please call 211info to get connected with a provider as soon as possible. Free and affordable childcare is being made available for essential workers. This guide will help you navigate 211info for childcare.  Resources specific to the Portland, SW WA, and Salem regions can be found here. 

Unemployment Benefits 

Oregon: Governor Brown has issued an executive order loosening the rules around unemployment to help people who are quarantined or temporarily out of work due to COVID-19 – this includes people who need to stay at home to care for a child. Review this guide to consider your eligibility. Claims can be filed online or by calling 1-877-FILE-4-UI (1-877-345-3484). 

Washington: Washington state has also expanded unemployment and created a helpful guide to assess eligibility. If you believe you are eligible for unemployment benefits gather all necessary documents. Call 800-318-6022 between 8am and 4pm to apply or visit 

Housing: Paying Rent & Evictions  

The governors of Oregon and Washington have issued temporary moratoriums on rental evictions. That means you cannot be removed from your home during this time. Eviction processes already started are on hold. After the crisis passes, landlords will be able to evict for non-payment of rent unless certain tenants provide certain notifications. The Oregon Law Center has more information and can help if you need assistance. 

If you live in the city of Portland or Multnomah County and cannot pay your rent due to a COVID-19 related loss in income, follow the steps outlined here and you may be able to defer your rent payment and avoid eviction. City of Beaverton also passed something similar. You can also access our resource guidean attempt to pull together all the resources in the state that are available to people impacted by COVID-19. 

Family First Coronavirus Response Act: Paid Leave 

On April 1, 2020 a new federal law will go into effect that millions of workers the right to take paid sick leave and paid family medical leave to deal with the Coronavirus. However, due to pressure from corporate interests, and some politicians, the law leaves out many workers. Click here to see if you can benefit. 

Community Resource Guides 

With information on state and county resources, food assistance, low cost healthcare, childcare and more,our resource guide is an attempt to pull together all the resources in the state that are available to people impacted by COVID-19. 

211 is the go-to public phone number to get information about Novel Coronavirus and referrals to programs for food, shelter, health care and more. CALL 211 or 1-866-698-6155; TEXT your zip code to 898211 (TXT211); EMAIL: 

Have a question you don’t see answered?

Contact Kaiser Member Resource Center at or call the Kaiser hotline at 503-236-4949 x220.   

Comments are closed.