Summary: The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 49 is now accepting resumes from motivated individuals who have a passion for helping healthcare workers fight for better working conditions, dignity on the job, and improvements in healthcare for all working families.
Job Description: SEIU Local 49 is a 13,000 member local statewide union. The Local represents and organizes health care workers and janitors throughout Oregon and southwest Washington and throughout the U.S. We are committed to helping workers fight for social and economic justice on the job and in the community.
Some specific duties shall include:
- Identify, recruit, and develop worksite leaders in their jobs and communities;
- Develop and implement effective organizing plans;
- Motivate and inspire workers to build their union in the face of heavy employer opposition;
- Using house visits, leafleting, and phone calls to identify healthcare workers interested in forming a union;
- Working long and irregular hours, often including nights and weekends;
- Actively participate in other union activities, including political organizing and solidarity actions.
- Dedication to improving the quality of life for working people and desire to do the hard, but rewarding, work to accomplish this;
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills, including the ability to successfully relate to persons from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures;
- Enthusiasm and energy for working with worker leaders to develop their confidence, hope, and skills as worksite leaders;
- Ability to solve problems creatively and think on your feet;
- Must have strong judgment and strategic sense;
- Must be able to perform successfully in both independent and team settings;
- Must be able to succeed in an environment of accountability in meeting the goals of the campaign;
- Must be willing to participate in a strong program of staff development that fosters and challenges you to develop your skills, experience, and leadership.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and automobile for work use;
- Ability to work long and irregular hours, often including nights and weekends;
- Computer literacy
- Organizing and/or healthcare experience a plus
- Must be willing to travel regionally and nationally for extended periods of time.
- Position may be based in Portland or Eugene.
Salary range from $49,402.08 to $84,069.44 depending on experience plus a car allowance, fully paid family healthcare, vacation and sick leave, retirement plans and other benefits.
Healthcare Support Specialist
This position is responsible for coordinating and maintaining data for Local Union-based organizing campaigns. This includes working with field teams to develop and maintain a system for fast and accurate data entry, reporting results back to appropriate team leaders, and ensuring aggregated numbers are reported to campaign directors. The ideal candidate is an independently motivated leader who can demonstrate exceptional data skills (particularly in the VAN), offer useful and relevant strategic insight to campaign leadership, and has experience meeting hard deadlines under pressure. In addition to data and technical assistance you will be expected to perform general support and office management for the team.
- Guides and supports campaigns to gather, match, and augment lists using all available resources.
- Provides accurate guidance on all “jobs” related functions in data and tracking, critical for building Union power and winning Union elections.
- Responsible for advising on, designing, and implementing data entry workflows consistent with campaign needs and best practices.
- Responsible for ensuring official worker lists and list updates integrate cleanly into campaign workflows, and for ensuring Organizing teams collect original data consistent with best practices.
- Is able to fully leverage the union’s various list matching resources, and advises campaigns on their proper use.
- Executes and advises campaigns on highly specialized, critical, data-driven operations, eg, GOTV, major mobilizations, or organizing blitzes.
- Develops data plans for market or local campaigns.
- Provides data support for campaign staff. This includes supporting all facets of the union’s primary organizing database; eg, user creation, phone services, turf hierarchies, and providing guidance consistent with established protocols.
- Responsible for designing summary reports to fit campaign needs, and for training campaign staff to use the reports effectively.
- Responsible for following established protocols and best practices in all data operations, and for informing the development and refinement of those standards.
- Provides basic support for common tasks in MS Excel.
- Trains campaign staff through a webinar / screen sharing service.
- Utilizes excellent communications skills, both verbal and written
- Exercises independent judgment and discern priorities
- Communicates effectively and respectfully in diverse communities
Scope and Nature of Supervision
This position reports to the Organizing Director. Must be able to act and organize time with independence. Exercises good judgment, ability to take initiative and work independently; must be able to work with elected leaders and staff in complex and sometimes sensitive situations. Must maintain confidentiality and appropriate discretion. Must be able to handle multiple priority projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines.
- Experience in maintaining databases – including duplicate management process
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Proficiency in digitizing records
- Familiarity with organizing and political campaign strategies preferred
- Previous experience with the labor movement or other advocacy organizations preferred
- Demonstrated experience in managing large amounts of data, importing and exporting data, implementing security systems and procedures, writing and training users to use technology
- Must be able to balance multiple demands, be comfortable with aggressive timelines, and to quickly change directions when priorities shift
Work may require regular travel—and the position may require temporary assignments away from home as well as long and irregular hours. Work schedule is often affected by campaign schedule.
Salary range from$39,915 to $57,470 depending on experience plus fully paid family healthcare, vacation and sick leave, retirement plans and other benefits.
SEIU Local 49
SEIU Local 49 is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.