Director of Strategic Communications
About SEIU Local 49
SEIU Local 49 represents a diverse group of 13,000 healthcare and property service workers throughout Oregon and Southwest Washington. Our members include: caregivers, security officers, janitors and workers in manufacturing and other industries. The continued growth of our union reflects an aggressive approach to organizing and community engagement on key progressive issues, paired with a longstanding dedication to improving the wages, benefits and working conditions of working families. Local 49 is part of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), one of the largest and fastest-growing unions in the United States.
SEIU 49 is hiring a full-time Director of Strategic Communications to support the union’s internal and external communications efforts for various campaigns. This position will lead membership engagement, new media outreach and growth, along with material production and member engagement initiatives for numerous campaigns. The Director of Strategic Communications is part of the union leadership team.
General Statement of Duties
- Develop, drive and manage communication plans for various internal and external campaigns using online, new media and print material tools.
- Lead the management and development of messaging and content for various platforms and social media properties — including websites, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube
- Assist in design and production of written and web materials, including those for the organizing, political, and other departments
- Help to generate positive media coverage for the union, its members and causes
- Work with and help provide direction to consultants, partner organizations and others
- Train members and staff on best practices in communication technology
- Support general message development around key issues and campaigns
- Other duties as assigned
- 4+ years’ experience in a senior communications role with a union, progressive candidate/elected official or grassroots organization (or comparable experience in journalism or marketing)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with demonstrated success delivering strategic messaging for various media and for diverse audiences
- Ability to design basic print and web and social-media materials under tight deadlines (using Adobe Creative Suite, and Microsoft Office)
- Working knowledge of common content management programs (such as WordPress) and social media tools
- Experience with photo and/or video equipment and editing software (Photoshop, iMovie, Final Cut, etc.) a plus
- Basic web design skills a plus
- Experience pitching and working with journalists, bloggers and editors
- Commitment to the labor movement and overall progressive social change
- Ability to work under pressure, both independently and as part of a team
- Works well with others, is creative and has a good sense of humor
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends
- SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary range is $56,240 – $81,940, depending on experience. SEIU Local 49 offers a generous benefits package.
SEIU Local 49 is an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates should submit a résumé, cover letter and samples of writing and design work to email@example.com or:
SEIU Local 49
3536 NE 26th Avenue
Portland, Oregon 97202
The deadline for application is Friday, April 28, 2017. No phone calls please.
People of color, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply.
SEIU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Bilingual External Organizer
Summary: The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 49 is now accepting resumes from smart, motivated individuals who have a passion for helping workers fight for better working conditions, dignity on the job, and improvements in healthcare for all working families.
Job Description: SEIU Local 49 is a 13,000-member local union based in Portland, Oregon. The Local represents and organizes janitors, security officers, and health care workers throughout Oregon and southwest Washington and throughout the U.S. We are committed to helping workers fight for social and economic justice on the job and in the community.
Some specific duties shall include:
- Identify, recruit, and develop worksite leaders in their jobs and communities;
- Develop and implement effective organizing plans;
- Motivate and inspire workers to build their union in the face of heavy—and often illegal—employer opposition;
- Using house visits, leafleting, and phone calls to identify workers interested in forming a union;
- Working long and irregular hours, often including nights and weekends;
- Actively participate in other union activities, including political organizing and solidarity actions.
- Dedication to improving the quality of life for working people and desire to do the hard, but rewarding, work to accomplish that;
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills, including the ability to successfully relate to persons from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures;
- Enthusiasm and energy for working with worker leaders to develop their confidence, hope, and skills as worksite leaders;
- Ability to solve problems creatively and think on your feet;
- Must have strong judgment and strategic sense;
- Must be able to perform successfully in both independent and team settings;
- Must be able to succeed in an environment of accountability in meeting the goals of the campaign;
- Must be willing to participate in a strong program of staff development that fosters and challenges you to develop your skills, experience, and leadership.
- Bilingual Spanish and English required
- Must have a valid driver’s license and automobile for business use
- Ability to work long and irregular hours, often including nights and weekends
- Computer literacy
- Organizing experience a plus
- Must be willing to travel regionally and nationally for extended periods of time
Salary range from $48,433.32 to $80,804.88 depending on experience plus a car allowance, fully paid family healthcare, vacation and sick leave, retirement plans and other benefits.
If this interests you, email or fax cover letter and resume by April 21, 2017 to:
SEIU, Local 49
c/o Will Layng
Fax # 503-238-8653