The Executive Board is the highest leadership body of our union. The primary role of our executive board is inspiring and motivating members into action-leaders who are passionate about devoting time and talent to building a leadership team within their worksite. Our executive board sets the vision and program of our union and encourages us to exercise our leadership potential.
The Board is democratically elected by our union members and meets monthly to help shape the direction and priorities of our union. Our Executive Board is made up of democratically elected leaders from across our membership. To ensure a representative governing body, there are several groups of seats:
- 5 officer seats, two of which are reserved from our two major industries
- President – Oversees union staff and leads in setting the vision and program for our union and watches vigilantly over the affairs of the Union. When members are equally divided on any question, the President shall cast the deciding vote.
- Vice President Healthcare – Plays a role in helping to set vision and program for our union. The Vice President of Healthcare serves as a representative at union conferences and conventions
- Vice President Property Services – Plays a role in helping to set vision and program for our union. The Vice President of Property Services serves as a representative at union conferences and conventions
- Sergeant at Arms – Plays a role in helping to set vision and program for our union. Helps facilitate union meetings.
- Secretary Treasurer – Plays a role in helping to set vision and program for our union. Keeps all membership records and application cards, and a record of all members admitted by initiation or otherwise.
- Geographic seats are elected from each of the main geographies in Oregon and Southwest Washington in which our members live and work, ensuring local interests and access for all members where they work.
- Industrial seats ensure that the specific concerns of members from disparate kinds of workplaces are well-represented.
- Additional seats are apportioned for worksites with the largest memberships, to ensure those groups’ voice matches the size and strength of their membership.
I was born and raised in Oregon and Southwest Washington. My grandpa built ships in Astoria and belonged to a carpenters union for over 70 years. I learned early on the important role unions play in raising standards for workers and making real difference for working families. It is the reason why I have dedicated myself, working over 20 years with SEIU to make real difference for healthcare and property service workers.
Vice-President – Healthcare
I believe the next couple of years we are going to have a lot of attacks on our union members and our benefits. I am proud of the benefits we have at Kaiser and think every member of our union – janitors, security, hospital & healthcare, laundry, Xerox, Pendleton – should have the same good wages and benefits we do. We have to stick together, make sure our members are getting the training and support they need, continue to grow our union, and get community support and elected leaders to join with us, but most importantly: we have to stand our ground.
Clean Room Tech, SBM
Vice-President – Property Services
I joined our board because I believe I can make a difference in the lives of my co-workers, my fellow members, and working families across our state. Helping others is my motivation. It is the reason that I do this meaningful work.